- 3kg kangaroo rump
- Rock salt
- Ground coriander
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp Vegemite
- Chilli flakes (to taste)
- Debone the wallaby legs
- Slice meat into strips approx. 3 cm thick
- Line the bottom of an air tight container with a layer of rock salt
- Layer the strips of meat over the salt
- Sprinkle generously with ground coriander
- Sprinkle a layer of rock salt over the meat and coriander
- Repeat steps 3-5 until all meat is in the container
- Mix apple cider vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, Vegemite and chilli flakes in a jug
- Pour mixture over meat
- Place lid on container and leave to cure overnight
- Once meat is cured, remove from container and brush off excess salt
- Place meat into dehydrator ensuring that there is space around each piece of meat for air to circulate. Drying times will vary according to your preferences (we dry ours for approx. 18 hours and the biltong is still slightly red in the middle).
- Alternatively, if you live in a dry climate, you can hang biltong to dry.
Help us keep hunting alive
I Am Hunter has a passion to keep hunting alive. We use education and advocacy to demonstrate the positive benefits of ethical, fair-chase hunting to all society, not just hunters.
We can provide this content free to the public thanks to the generous support of our awesome members.
For less than 50c a day, members help support the fight to keep hunting alive by spreading a positive message about hunting to the wider community. In return, members get access to exclusive member rewards.