We have made this warming winter casserole using rabbit and hare meat, but the flavours pair well with almost any game meat – either on the bone, or cubed.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 x rabbits, jointed into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta Gourmet Stock
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 x brown onions (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 140g tomato paste
- 400g crushed tomatoes
- 330mls beer (we used Hahn Ultra Crisp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 160C (350F).
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium/high heat.
- Add rabbit pieces and brown on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Add bacon, onions and garlic to pot. Fry until lightly browned.
- Add capsicum, mushrooms and carrot and fry for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and beer to pan – stir through.
- Return rabbit pieces to the pan.
- Add salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cover the pot with a lid and place in preheated oven.
- Cook for approx. 3 hours.
- Serve over rice, mashed potato or with crusty fresh bread.
Variation: Because the meat has only been jointed, there are bones in this recipe. You can use the same method and ingredients as above, but substitute filleted rabbit/hare if you would prefer without bones. However, if cooking without bones, reduce the cooking time by half an hour.
Note: all ingredients in this recipe are gluten free and suitable for coeliacs. Recipe is also Keto-friendly, though to reduce carb count, omit carrot and serve with steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
Help us keep hunting alive
I Am Hunter has a passion to keep hunting alive. We use education and advocacy to demonstrate the positive benefits of ethical, fair-chase hunting to all society, not just hunters.
We can provide this content free to the public thanks to the generous support of our awesome members.
For less than 50c a day, members help support the fight to keep hunting alive by spreading a positive message about hunting to the wider community. In return, members get access to exclusive member rewards.