We have made this warming winter casserole using rabbit and hare meat, but the flavours pair well with almost any game meat – either on the bone, or cubed.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 x rabbits, jointed into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta Gourmet Stock
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 x brown onions (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 140g tomato paste
- 400g crushed tomatoes
- 330mls beer (we used Hahn Ultra Crisp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 160C (350F).
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium/high heat.
- Add rabbit pieces and brown on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Add bacon, onions and garlic to pot. Fry until lightly browned.
- Add capsicum, mushrooms and carrot and fry for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and beer to pan – stir through.
- Return rabbit pieces to the pan.
- Add salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cover the pot with a lid and place in preheated oven.
- Cook for approx. 3 hours.
- Serve over rice, mashed potato or with crusty fresh bread.
Variation: Because the meat has only been jointed, there are bones in this recipe. You can use the same method and ingredients as above, but substitute filleted rabbit/hare if you would prefer without bones. However, if cooking without bones, reduce the cooking time by half an hour.
Note: all ingredients in this recipe are gluten free and suitable for coeliacs. Recipe is also Keto-friendly, though to reduce carb count, omit carrot and serve with steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
What is I Am Hunter?
I Am Hunter has a lofty goal to change the way hunting is perceived in the community. Hunters can find a wide range of tools and resources to help them improve their skills and become positive role models and advocates for the hunting community.
I Am Hunter is a member-supported website. By paying a small monthly or annual fee, members help keep most of the content free, which in turn helps to spread a positive message about hunting with the wider community.
In return, members enjoy exclusive rewards and benefits including member-only content, discount codes, and giveaways.